Jan 24, 2006

for me less is more



Performance: "empty your bags".
tell the narrative of your personal objects was the request.

For me less is more. I like to have just a few things with me, I don't like to feel heavy, full. I need space. I have a red apple in my bag. It's my way to try to keep the balance in this mobile world, where the rhythm's are highly superior than nature can take. I have my keys. The key of my house in Philadelphia and the key of my office at Temple. When I arrived, 2 months ago, the only key I had was the one of my suitcase. I wish I could have made photos of all the keys I had in my life, all the places where I lived, sometimes for a few days, weeks, months or years. I don't have a home in my country. Homeless in the world, a citizen of the world. I like to travel, try to understand, live in different places, searching for my place. I have my mobile phone in my bag too. A new one, that I bought when I arrived and was trying to find a house for two weeks. I needed a number to people to contact me. I arrived in the week of the strike, so I walked all the city with my map. My goals were the houses I was going to see, probably to live in. I started to understand the geography of the city, so different from Lisbon, with her 7 hills and her small streets. Now I don't need a map anymore and my mobile phone has more use as a clock, 'cause I don't know so many people here yet and the ones I do communicate with me mostly through email. Usually I like to walk in a new city, without a map, just be there, on the streets, looking at people, how they look, how they walk, how they wait for the bus, how they talk or sing on the streets. So I have my note books. Today, in my bag I carry 2 note books. One very little called "Pocket Memo" that I use even when I don't have a bag. I can carry it on my pocket and take notes of this kind of details, how someone opens the mobile phone using it as a mirror. And I have a black note book already almost filled with notes since I arrived. There I note all kinds of things. Ideas for my films, images, a certain kind of light, the things I have to buy in the supermarket, the money I can spent, the meetings I have, the web sites I find interesting, anything. My note book is the map of my days.

1 comment:

harrys zen said...

hello, lovely discribtion of your life, keep on going!