Apr 29, 2006

post-narratives

This is my final project for Neighborhood Narratives class.

The piece consists in a limited serie of 10 original Post-Cards with original photos
taken mostly in Philadelphia, the place where i was living for the last 6 months.

Post-cards are usually the extension of the experience of being in a place. It's a piece of a place that we can send away. A piece of the place we are in that can be send to someone we care about with a short hand-writen message behind. It doesn't need envelopes. It's a small object, a mobile-art that can be easily carried and send away, having the possibility of a strong emotional value depending on the writen message and the person to whom we send it.

I wanted to perverte a little bit the idea of the usual post-card with the beautiful but artificial landscape and use the conceptual ideas of the post-card in a dynamic way, creating new meanings for the post-card it-self.

In this period of my life I was trying to find my place and my path as a person and as an artist. Many times I felt I didn't know where I was. Because finding our place is much more difficult then to be in a space --even when we have maps or GPS systems: in certain cases those are not very helpfull. I wanted to put those feelings on the post-cards creating a post-narrative that can be changed, extended or recreated through the writen words that each person can send, creating a multitude of possible meanings.

Dealing with the idea of mobile life in our society, I felt myself without roots. Being floating on the air between a place and another, became a sort of way of life. And I believe this is true for many persons in the world in a era of exodus and migrations where people are strangers everywhere.

A friend of mine who is travelling to Europe every 2 weeks told me the other day that actually she likes to be on the air for 10 hours in a plane because no one can ritch her and she feels a sort of freedom when she's on the clouds. When she saw my post-cards she said laughing
"this is me!"









How to deal with the absence of structural narratives ?
How to live in a post-narrative world ?
How to find our inner place ?

1 comment:

Sérgio Lopes said...

Muito boa tarde.

O meu nome é Sérgio Lopes, tenho 25 anos e todos os meses leio de uma ponta à outra a revista Premiere, na qual a Claudia escreve um texto sobre técnicas de cinema.

Assim sendo, não pude deixar de visitar o seu blogue como prova de reconhecimento das suas palavras escritas na revista Premiere.

Sendo um viciado em cinema (vejo imensos filmes), decidi criar eu também um blogue sobre cinema asiático, visto ser um tipo de cinema que me fascina mesmo muito, encontrando-se ainda assim, pouco divulgado.

è um blogue feito com muita dedicação e gosto e teria todo o prazer que a Cláudia o visitasse e desse o seu parecer e quem sabe um comentário.

É o Cineasia. www.cineasia.blogspot.com.

Espero que goste e que deixe um comentário, até quem sabe mais tarde possa ser publicitado na Premiere na rubrica do Criswell?

Cumprimentos,

Sérgio Lopes