Jul 5, 2007

trajectos | passages | day 8


IMPROVING THE BUS STOP

I was waiting half an hour for the bus to go back home. It was one of those deadly hot days around noon. Rossio is one of the few places in Lisbon Downtown where there is a few benches where people can seat and a few small trees. People were struggling to rest for a little bit while waiting for the bus. But benches were on the sun and trees have no benches under them. It was interesting to observe how people would walk around, change place, try to find a little spot on the shadow. But in Portugal people have this way of queuing in line because they don't want to miss a good spot inside the bus, I guess. I don't know. People are always very concerned about who arrived first and if you are not in line they give you that weired look to make you feel bad and guilty. In many countries I know it's not like that... it's much more relaxed. But here a lot of people was just standing in line. I offered a seat to an old woman but she didn't want it because is was too hot, so she stood up in a little corner of the bus stop. I was there for half an hour and when my bus came she was still in the same place.

I decided to improve that bus stop.

I'll put there 4 sun-umbrellas and chairs.
Unfortunately it will be just for one day - the 13 July.
That will be one of the street actions for this project. I think it will be very much appreciated. It will be an all day action and I am curious how people will react. What kind of situations can happen? People won't know the purpose of that, so maybe they will be surprised. I hope they just use it and enjoy! You're all invited to seat on the shadow and chill out in downtown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey claudia!
your blog mobile narratives is great! it is as if my memory draws back the contours of lisbon’s sites and its atmospheres. in my memory i see clearly again what i observed myself; the hidden places, the strange characters...and as if to this memory there is added a new flavour. lisbon appears floating in my mind, through the past, the very past( earthquake) and the present, when i read you texts. ...the lining up for busses, the photo of the woman cleaning in front of the store. ...

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).